Thursday 7 May 2015

Textiles Development

[Successful prints]

[Failed prints]

A mistake I made through printing was only printing out each digital version once, meaning I only had four 'prints' to work with. This definitely started to show in the prints I made later on as the colours were very faded and some parts didn't come out at all. As I predicted in my earlier post, the prints I was most happy with were the zoomed in versions. However I felt some of the full face images came out very well even though they were a little 'obvious'. 

My favourite prints can be seen in the top sets of images, The best prints came out onto a foam material, alongside a chiffon and an organza. The two images [second from the left, and very right] I achieved through laying the print flat on a scrunched piece of fabric. I was satisfied with these two as I think they represented the skin textures I was portraying earlier on in my project, connecting the burns with the facial disfigurement. The blue print in the middle was my favourite,  it was printed onto a chiffon and the colours came out extremely well, it was really beautiful. 



Using the knit sample I made earlier I took to the stand to see how it could be used, in my book I have drawings of it being used on a sleeve but it was much too flimsy to try so I could only pin it where the mannequin was. Pinning it first then stuffing it worked well as it meant I create the shapes where I wanted them and change them around. I was trying to create the crop top with the Frida Kahlo style pregnancy hole in the top set of stand work but I don't really like how it came out. This was mainly because it was so difficult to adjust so it wouldn't stay central and this just made it look like a random hole as opposed to representing the womb. The most successful part of using it in this way was how I could stuff it completely. Due to it being flat, the tissue was really malleable and easy to pull through. 

On the other hand, the second set of mannequin work I was much more content with. Incorporating where a sleeve could be or even a hood through layering the knit around itself created some really interesting shapes. The white was quite distracting as it looked like bandages. but after dying both the knit and the stuffing, it will be preferable. 




No comments:

Post a Comment