Saturday 9 May 2015

First Calico Toile

[Toile pinned on the stand]

[Pinned onto Meeka]

After finalising the paper toiles to a stage I was content with I decided to move onto calico, as material has a much different structure to paper I wanted to get a better feel for how it would fit the body as well as seeing how it could be made. I only made half the back as I still was undecided on how long and what shape I wanted it. After lightly pinning it together I got meeka to model it to see how it fitted the body, and where I needed to shorten or lengthen any parts. I was happy with the sleeve, without sewing it properly together I could only get a rough idea of how it might look. The shape kept flopping, so I think to keep the sleeves segregated I might need to interface the bottom of the top sleeve, and the top of the lower sleeve.

[Photoshoping prints on toile]

Transfering these images onto photoshop along with a scan of all the successful digital prints I played around placing them along the sleeves and into the sample holes. I love the blue print especially and will continue to develop this idea through illustration. 

When I cut out the front piece of the jacket, I used my paper toile for inspiration and therefore cut it in two separate sections. When I sew this toile it will be easier to see whether it will look better to transfer these two into one piece. I want to incorporate a pocket somewhere in the jacket so the two pieces could come in handy for creating a pocket hole in between them. Also it could be interesting to have contrasting colours for these pieces. 

Over this weekend I will sew these together, and also create a pattern for both the culottes and crop top, this means by next weeks studio time I can fit them onto Lena [my model] and it will give me ample time to alter and redraw up any patterns that don't work before cutting and sewing a final toile. Although I have been fabric shopping, I don't feel I've found the final materials yet but I now want to wait until I have finished toiling so I know what texture and structure of the fabrics I want to go with. 








No comments:

Post a Comment