Thursday 16 April 2015

Sample Testing

[Creating shapes  and texture from different materials]

[Creating volume from different materials, and how it could be made]

After working shapes together on the stand I moved to sampling different textures and got round to painting quite a few of them white. Without a full colour palette deciders and fabric swatches to match, keeping everything white takes focus away from colour and keeps it on the physical shape and texture of each sample. This also makes them much more adaptable. 

We came across a slight setback when all the knitting machines were put into repairs, so instead of abandoning the idea of using knit I decided to teach myself to hand knit. Although my technique was pretty basic it was a good start, hopefully I can carry this skill to more exciting styles and techniques to use throughout my project. When I started I was using a much too thin thread and it was taking me ages to get started, after swapping to a much better suited wool I found it easer and knitted at ease. I had no idea before I started hand knitting that the material was so important to created a strong sample, this would a good thing to learn as it will help me when picking fabrics and wools for future sampling and garments.

The bottom set of samples were done using fabric paper and calico, I wanted to see if I could make a physical example of the draping I did in my first amount of stand work. Something I have been trying to achieve is making sure everything I do on the stand is realistic and therefore transferable into a garment. These actually worked really well, I was extremely happy with how they turned out. Simply by moving the fabric against the 'lump' I created allowed it to become much more 3Dimensional. Through changing the thread I was using I could make the lumps neat or messy, relating back to the good against bad. 



No comments:

Post a Comment