Wednesday 15 April 2015

Shapes on the Stand



In my progress of developing each part of my research to its full capacity, I felt these paintings could be taken further. So combining the 'reconstruct' idea from the people Cyril Caine photographed, I sewed together bits of pattern making paper. This was quicker and easier than using calico, and it holds its structure well giving me volume and my desired 'lump' look. I made a simple shape of about 5 pieces of paper and then arranged it in as many ways as I could on the stand, focusing on collars, sleeves and shoulders. My earlier mannequin work was pretty detailed so I wanted these to be much more relaxed and shapely. The central stand work was focused on the stomach, an unflattering area for most. Through making it look like a distorted pregnancy belly I brought it back to my theme and concept. If this was done in a sheer fabric, I could use my earlier samples and layer them underneath. 

With these I will continue with a similar design illustration technique of collaging in and moving around the work into new designs and areas as I found that works pretty well. This idea of sewing together odd shapes is one I will develop more with fabrics, using a mixture of fabrics that shouldn't work together. For example sheer fabrics like organza with leather or something bulky like denim. 

Once I have created a large amount of illustrations from my stand work I can move on to refining and designing a few toiles to see how they would work on the body. 



No comments:

Post a Comment