Wednesday 29 April 2015

Mid Point Review

[Mid point review sheet with Tutor Dan]

My mid-point assessment was pretty useful in helping me realise where I was in my project and also to bounce a few idea's off Dan to progress with. Receiving critical feedback on my work so far, especially with a grade was a good guide for how to develop the project in a way that would help me achieve the highest mark I can.A Dan gave a mixed review, and although he feels I can achieve a Distinction I am not there yet, I felt this was a very fair review. My development was still at early stages and I felt I needed to speed that up to get to the level I wanted to be. Dan suggested adding in more textiles, like digital printing. This was something I was aiming to do anyway but we worked out a few ideas to print, using my past research work scanned in and edited. 

To move from a merit to distinction, my designs need o move from initial stage to further sampling and further designs. I need to keep going in between stand work and designing, this is a process I've been trying to do through this project as I want the final stand work to be thought through and complex. My main aim was to include more fabrication, and personally although Dan said I need more, I felt I have included a lot more than I have in previous projects. My thought process on fabrics and the construction has really improved and I think I have explored fabrics and materials that are much more experimental too. I need to experiment more outside my book, especially with different and new fabrics on the stand.

After my Mid point, I asked Becca to also go through my blog and book. This was to give me more than one opinion, and also to give me a chance to question her about the ideas Dan and I discussed to see a new perspective on them. Similar criticisms came out, I need to work quicker and my designs need further developing. What really helped was the two perspectives on my blog, Dan was happier with my blog than Becca, but this meant I got more pointers in how to really improve it; Much more analyzing and reviewing. Also to bring back in my research whenever I have development that related to it, for example in a blog post on stand work that was developed from my interview with Cyril Caine to mention this and explain its relevance. 





No comments:

Post a Comment