Wednesday 29 April 2015

Stand Response


[Stand response]

Collectively going through my previous stand work and illustrations, I continued to draw and bring in the colour. Through working out the balance of orange and blue against the white, I could refine the illustrations. Adding in fabric swatches and samples helped me draw as I could match the style of garment to the fabrics, allowing the more flowing fabrics with looser shapes, and the more structured fabrics with the more structured designs. Working on top of the stand work in pen, adding in shapes and colouring parts helped me think more about individual shapes as opposed to the stand work as a whole. Through picking out these individual shapes I could apply them into later illustrations, making my stand work produce twice the amount of designs it might have otherwise. This method of experimentation is pretty useful, and I am pleased with how the illustrations are turning out. As I am no longer focusing on the 'body' of the illustrations it has allowed me to really branch out with who I draw each item, making each illustration bigger also meant I could bring in a lot more detailing. 

As I am designing for A/W the main focus will be 'outerwear' so coats, trousers, jackets etc. Bringing knit into this helps the transition from light outerwear to winter. Keeping the colours bright however keeps it in season, but makes it stand out from perhaps other autumn winter wear. The layering of fabrics well also help produce a garment suitable for A/W, however I do not want to have an extremely heavy garment. Although I have been fabric shopping and sampling all this and last week, I think something like neoprene will actually suit the style of clothing I hope to produce. I like clothes with structure and although I want it to be 'lumpy' the basic shape would be best to create something that holds its form. Also neoprene comes in really bright colours, matching my colour palette and would overcomplicate it with pattern. As can be seen in some of the sampling above, the mesh and knit mixes are something I will continue to expand and experiment with. I am still focused on this idea of creating abstract shapes and lumps within the garment, so in my next stage of stand work I will aim to include a few samples and examples of what could work.

Over the next week I aim to finalise my ideas and produce a set of front back and side designs so when the woman coming in to help with pattern cutting comes in, I will have a good idea for what to draw up on pattern paper. This will ensure my toile is the best it can be, and also means I will have time to alter it a few times before making the official garment. I am excited to develop these rough ideas and see what more I can come up with, especially with more complex designs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment