Thursday 30 April 2015

Knit Forming

[Pages from sketchbook]

As development to the YouTube videos on Chernobyl, and to the images of the smoke clouds I saw in the Tate, Time- Conflict exhibition, I decided to continue my 'pillow' work, but also translate this into a textile that could be used within a garment, knit. I wanted to work with more textures within this project, even though it is much more time consuming, this experimental approach makes the work much more exciting and individual. Creating silhouettes this way is much more interesting than working with paper as it gives more to work with and the heaviness adds a new dimension to the stand work. After my earlier attempts at hand knitting, I decided to go back to the knit machine. Although I enjoying the challenge of teaching myself to knit, It was an extremely slow process and I could only do the basic knit which wasn't what I wanted. Creating samples with different materials and techniques helped me actualise my ideas, and realise what would work for me and what wouldn't. 

Using this sample I started to draw where it could be placed if in a larger sample, something I will do onto the mannequin at a later point. I felt it worked best as a cut out piece or around the neck and shoulders, created an uneven shape or an accent. After this point I felt a little deflated as I was started to lose interest. To bring my focus back I moved onto the pillow designing and started collaging and playing with silhouettes of the cushions, including accents of colour and pattern.  I think the shape of garment I aim to create is pretty defined already, I love the oversized arm shapes and wide kimono style coat jackets. As it's such a simple pattern, it's simple enough to alter. The great thing about using a duvet or pillow was how easy it was to manipulate, through dying or painting a duvet in my chosen colour palette I could create a whole garment simply through draping and pinning until achieving what I want it to look like. 

I am unsure at this point how many final garments I want to achieve, this will probably be determined by timing. I would ideally like to produce 3; a coat/jacket, trousers and an over coat. Perhaps an accessory too, to fit within my current work I think this would be made from knit. I want to experiment sewing the knit across stretches of calico or simple white fabric so that it can be easily stuffed. Although the cabbage dying was technically 'unsuccessful' I have actually really grown to like the colour and have decided to add it to my palette. 

I feel like I am spending a lot of time on sampling and need to push it further to designing quicker, I am still a little behind on schedule but hopefully will catch up this coming week. Making larger samples means I can experiment with them on a mannequin, using each sample through photocopying and collaging my illustrations will help me move on providing texture ideas later on in my design process. 







No comments:

Post a Comment