Thursday 23 April 2015

Designing 2.0

[Pages from sketchbook, including samples]


Today I carried on drawing and collaging from my earliest stand work, but incorporating scans from some of my textiles and samples. Looking into a more sustainable route of fashion design, I played around with older fabrics and plastic bags, plaiting and layering to create 'yarn' or a texture.

Unfortunately at the pace in which I have been producing designs from my stand work I am not producing the amount I would like to. This is easily fixable, I just need to be more rough when drawing and collaging and then once I have produced an amount I am happy with I can go back and neaten everything up. However every new collage design I create helps me move the project further. Although it cannot be seen yet in my book, I have been creating responses to these designs, especially with development as I've gone along. Working with new fabrics and materials such as duvet and towel, alongside organza to create a new texture mash-up but also new shapes and structures. These will make my designs much stronger, as an unrealistic 'illustration' at the moment, they will transform into something realistic. However abstract my designs are, I wan't each one to be make-able.

Many of my earliest designs were simple sketches, but I feel as the book goes on each design reflects my concept more, making them far stronger. They use collage to bring in each aspect of my samples and textiles, but also to show how  each could be used to create the lumps and bumps I first wanted to present.

I think I need to go back to my initial research, the videos and gallery visits to pick out more visual references. Over the weekend I will go back to these videos and start to create physical responses that I can bring into my designs to further each development stage. I think the next stage of design it so start drawing fronts, backs, and full body drawings without the collage. This will bring the designs into a more realistic place, but also help me when drawing up finals. Through refining and re-drawing the best designs, I can come up with the best possible outcome, and therefore the strongest designs. Throughout designing, I feel both the actual designs and the style of the illustrations have got stronger. I have begun to bring in fabrication and am starting to consider how to make the garments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment