Wednesday 13 May 2015

Trial and Error Round 3

[Crop top toile 2]

After sewing the new culotte, crop top and jacket toiles, I decided that as I am a similar size to Lena I would try them on to see how well they fitted. Everything was slightly too long on me but as Lena is taller I didn't alter them. The top's neck hole however was much too small so I measured 5.5cm from the center front down and 3cm from the center back down and cut it evenly larger. I knew I was going to hem it so I didn't want to cut it too wide. 

As stated earlier, I wasn't entirely happy with the fabrics I had so far so I have planned to visit a large fabric warehouse in Hackney that a girl on the course told me about. This is to ensure I am completely pleased with everything. I don't want to settle on the fabrics I use as so much work will go into these garments. I picked my two favourite digital prints out [the cropped blue and orange prints] and have printed them both A2 ready for the fabric when I get it. I know the next week is going to be a little rushed so I am trying to save as much time as possible where I can. At the start of this project I mentioned how I wanted to improve my time management skills, and although I feel I have definitely improved, there is still much to learn. On one hand my book is almost up to date meaning I am within my plan but I don't want to rush any of the making so I would rather leave my book for the week and come back to it after Tuesdays shoot which will push me behind schedule. 


[pages from sketchbook]


My illustrations up to this point had been quite minimal and random so through toiling I expanded on these and started to add in detailing, in particular, the placing of each detail. For example, where the digital printing could go and what other fabrication detailing I could use. I started the project wanting to try the laser cutting machine but as I don't know how to use illustrator or work the machine I don't think I'll have time to test it. However, throughout my illustrations I have included this sort of paisley like pattern (the one I wanted to laser cut) It represented the skin textures and samples I made earlier in the project. I still want to include it within my garment as it relates back to disfigurement well, through brainstorming a few ideas and techniques on how to achieve this effect without the laser cutter, I came up with a good way to achieve this effect and also being able to place it exactly where I want it on the garment. My plan is to use fabric paints, When I buy my fabrics this weekend I will also buy fabric paint and such like to test out before using it on the final garment.

No comments:

Post a Comment