Wednesday 20 May 2015

Photoshoot

[Studio garment shoot]

My photoshoot time slot was from 12.30-13.30 so I left myself plenty of time to press my digital prints before the shoot. The only other thing I needed to complete was to attach the extra arm and leg with embroidery thread, but again that wouldn't take long. 

I hadn't sampled my prints on the white trill before as I had only bought it over the weekend so I was lucky that it came out so well. This was definitely down to my lack of fabric buying planning. For the top sleeve, I played around with various prints I had, but decided on using the blue print over the orange as it contrasted better with the orange body. In hindsight, I should have printed the digital print on the top sleeve of the jacket before I cut it out and sewed it together as it made it considerably harder to print. This also meant I printed onto some of the orange by mistake when heat pressing it, but luckily it was hardly noticeable. Using the same templates I had used to draw on the culottes with, I cut out various circles with my leftover prints. These looked great against the fabric paint, with the clean cut circles and the wavy abstract edges of the painted circles. 

Everything fitted Lena perfectly and she looked amazing, I was so pleased with how my garments turned out. As a last minute decision, I decided to cut the extra leg piece to help balance out the arm (Inspired by the video of the kids of Chernobyl and the extra long limbs and tumors), which I was glad about as it was a good contrast to the white and orange. I kept the styling ultra simple, using similar colours in the garments within her make up and other clothing like socks and shoes. 

As well as the photography student shooting my garments, I took quite a few pictures myself. This meant I had way more images than I needed so I had more choice for my final photographs. Additionally to this, Lena and I went outside the building to take some more 'editorial' style photos around North Greenwich Peninsular. The cold architectural feel of the 'square' worked well with my garments, contrasting the bright colours with the metal and dark blue walls. 

[My own garment shoot]

I was really satisfied with how the images came out and their reaction from my peers and tutors were extremely positive. Using Lena gave the pictures a much more professional look as she is a model, the clothes really complimented her too. Originally I wanted to shoot my garments on three ethnicities to play with the idea that beauty is subjective, and how different colours look on different people. but I felt the images of Lena were more than enough so scrapped that idea. 

[Favourite image from personal shoot]




No comments:

Post a Comment