Thursday 26 March 2015

Stand Responses

[My images from gallery visits that I used as inspiration]

[Stand work response]

To make sure I have been getting the most out of each part of my research and photographs I have taken through gallery visits, I have been trying to stretch each part as far as I can possibly take it before moving on. Mashing up the skin textures focus and the images I have from the Hunterian Museum and Cyril Caine's photography I moved to the stand to move my book work along.

I was trying to convey the more abstract shapes, for example the extra bone on the skull's shape or the connection between tissue within the tumour or smoke clouds. I really liked how they came out but I wanted to know what they looked like to others. One of my aims for this project was to create something seemingly 'ugly' and turn it into something beautiful, mirroring my concept of the 'designer' baby. At the same time I also didn't want my influences to be obvious, the ugly aspect to be subtle. This succeeded, the feedback I got from peers and tutors was of an unknown inspiration, but aesthetically pleasing to most. A few said it reminded them of a filo pastry, comically this isn't a bad thing, as most people love filo and it is an art to make. 

I really need to begin designing, which I will start when I come back after the holidays. Although I didn't want to rush out of the research stage, I feel I am a little behind on my schedule and need to hurry up. However, I am happy with the work I have achieved so far and I am not worried as the research stage is normally the bit I find most difficult. Stand work helped me move my work from research to response to development, when going through my work so far with a few different tutors they noticed that my responses to research stopped abruptly before I moved onto the next part of research. With the stand work I have aimed to push my response further and keep developing, hopefully to create more work and ideas to move on with. This has also helped me pick and choose which parts of research have been relevant and which to leave behind. 




No comments:

Post a Comment